Here’s an overview and some instructions on how to request for test accommodations.
To Request Test Accommodations:
- Read the Guidelines carefully. Share them with the professional who will be helping you prepare your documentation.
- Read the instructions for completing the Request for Test Accommodations form.
- Complete and sign the appropriate request form
- If appropriate, have your medical school complete the Certification of Prior Test Accommodations form.
- Attach documentation of the disability and your need for accommodation.
- Compare your documentation with the information listed in these guidelines to ensure a complete submission.
- Incomplete documentation will delay processing of your request.
- Send your request for test accommodations and supporting documentation to the appropriate registration entity as noted on the form
Test accommodations include but are not limited to the following:
- Assistance with keyboard tasks
- Audio rendition
- Extended testing time
- Additional break time
- Enlarged text and graphics
- Permission for assistive devices
When test accommodations are granted for USMLE Steps and Step Components, score reports and transcripts may include an annotation that an accommodation was granted. Score recipients who inquire about the annotation will be provided with information about the nature of the test accommodation only.
- USMLE FAQs