There are a lot of information that is of utmost relevance to the old IMG. Since majority of all USMLE exam-takers are either third year medical students or fresh grads, these facts do not apply to them and usually is not mentioned or discussed that much in most forums. As an old IMG it took me sometime to discover all the answers to a lot of these FAQs. You can have an easier time finding them all here.
Knowledge is Power
While I was preparing for the USMLE, I remember I had spent an inordinate amount of time researching about the USMLE. I wanted to know everything about this exam and what are my chances against it. “Know thy enemy, know thyself and in a hundred battles you will never be imperiled.” The only way I can beat this exam is to fully understand what it is about.
As an old IMG, I was also in a fairly unique situation, different from most of those sitting for the USMLE. I wanted to know what are the chances of an old IMG like memaking it in the USMLE. Predictions range from bad to worse. One were just plain mean and a lot of them inaccurate. So there is a need for an unbiased fact-based post on frequently asked questions for old IMG about the USMLE.
Another important topics that concern old IMG’s is about chances for residency. I wanted to know that granted I pass the USMLE what are the chances of my getting interviews and residency positions. It was also important for me to find out what important steps I needed to do that is different fro everybody else to get those interviews.
Research Takes Time and Effort
Researching the information requires going through various official sites, blogs, forums and books. What makes it doubly hard is all the misinformation and biased opinions against old IMGs. And so I have decided to list down all those FAQs especially pertinent to old IMGs.
I have already compiled a list of USMLE FAQs that applies to everyone. This particular USMLE FAQs section is being written especially for the old IMG. I will not repeat here what I have written in the general USMLE FAQs section, just refer to it there. Listed here are USMLE FAQs of primary interest to the old IMG taking the USMLE. If you have any questions you want answered, feel free to post on the comment section below.
You may want to sign up for our email list so you can be informed whenever a new blog article is posted.
Listed below are the various FAQs that I have written or will be writing about in the future. (If it’s blue and underlined, it’s a link to a blog post, click on it if you want to learn more)
- What is an Old IMG? Technically speaking, when is somebody considered and Old IMG? Find out.
- Am I Too Old to Take the USMLE? Is there an age limit to taking the USMLE?
- Why do Old IMGs do Poorly in the USMLE? Know the reasons and what you should do to overcome it.
- Can Old IMGs Score High in the USMLE? Can old IMGs really score high in the USMLE or did I just got lucky? Find out more.
- Why Do Old IMGs Find it Hard to Get Interviews? There are several good reasons for this. Find out more.
- Will High Scores Help the Old IMG Get into Residency? Are high scores truly effective in helping old IMGs get a residency?
- Is Being a Specialist an Advantage in Getting into Residency? A lot of specialist old IMG seems to think so. Are they right?
- Is a High Yield Review Enough for an Old IMG? You see in forums people recommending First Aid plus Online Qbanks as a prep strategy. For most people, that may not be enough, especially the old IMG.